Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Chromakinetics

This is an animated short I am working on about a graffiti artist who can telekinetically control and throw globs of paint. It will have a techno-urban feel to it inspired by, (to name a few) Sticker Bomb and Jet Set Radio.

Here’s the main character. He’s wearing a face mask (with oni decal) and goggles.

Character Concept Art
I modeled him in Maya (about 2.5 hours). Some liberties were taken with his stylized look.

Model
I think I will make his mask more “pop cartoon” because its detail is a bit uncanny at the moment.

Chromanaut Character Render

His animation will be powered via motion capture (Vicon Blade and Motionbuilder). The paint itself will be animated using fluid dynamics, fields, and sticky maps.

My goal is to get the effects animation looking similar to the beautifully animated waterbending from Avatar, except with more viscosity (because paint is, you know, thicker).

Environment

The animation takes place in a drained flood control channel in the middle of an overdeveloped city. I spent one afternoon extruding buildings and trying to breathe life into the world.

I really love doing this stuff. Yes, I almost became an architect once.


The set is basically a big, graffiti filled t-junction with ends that curve off to the sides.


A big inspiration for the look of the city is illustrator Matt Laskowski. I absolutely admire Matt’s work!



Anyways, I will be texturing the entire city using tri-planar projection mapping this weekend. Wish me luck!