Friday, December 9, 2011

Some rendered screenshots from the final animation:


Thursday, December 8, 2011


This is the Chromakinetic Animated Sequence. Combining it with the set will be next.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

nDynamics are a Good Thing.

Obligatory “finals week has arrived” opener.

Here is the result of several determined hours of nested goal weights, deformers, and particle caching:
As I should’ve guessed, getting telekinetic paint to fly around turned out to be more complicated than it seemed.

Yesterday, while brushing my teeth, I had a massive epiphany to goal the particles to an invisible sphere rigged with various deformers, and then either keyframe the sphere’s motion of put it on a motion curve. When it hit me, I actually yelled out loud and scared my roommate a little bit.

Anyways, here are some test renders of the paint with physical lighting:
“Go now, blob of paint, be free! Join the other blob of paints, it is your destiny.”

I am shooting for having the sequence and set rendered out for class next Wednesday. The camerawork will be simpler than the final animation, which will be completed over the holidays.

I will be giving the camerawork (DoF, lens shaders, etc) and editing (with audio!?!) tons of planning and attention of their own. It will be like another project ENTIRELY.

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Performance Capture Sequence

I spent the last couple of days piping the mocap data into Maya. The character isn’t finished yet, but he’s getting there.


I’m still learning MotionBuilder (doubt I will ever stop “learning”) so he took a while to rig and skin. I won’t be capturing face and hands until next semester either.

To animate the fingers, I set driven keys to animate the hands by hand (no pun intended). You have 30 joints in your fingers. My brain went numb during the process.

The rest of the week will be spent on fluid dynamics. I’ve been researching different methods of making flying globs of paint and will probably use particle goals.