Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Legend of Satomi: A Character Study

My roommate and I have been working on-and-off on a couple game characters that feature an East-West duality. I will be sculpting figurines for my 3D printing class.

Here are the characters in question:

The character on the right is based on the shrine maidens of feudal Japan. She has a large rope belt with prayer papers, kimono, hakama, and armor.

After I modeled her clothes, I made them nCloths so that they could be ripply and dynamic in the still figurine. I messed with her skeleton a bit to get a more interesting pose.
Getting a 3D model optimized for printing is not something I have had experience with. The number of overlapping polygons this model has looms over my head with foreboding.


I decided to put a wakizashi in her belt. Speaking of belt, it's a huge ropey thing on purpose.



Below are some test renders. I will update once they are printed, which won't be for a while, probably.