Thursday, March 8, 2012

Photofly to 3D Printing Test

I was thinking about experimenting with the scanning software 123D Catch (in beta) to see if I could print figurines from photography with relative ease. Jared was my first brave volunteer, and he struck this pose for 5 minutes while Madeline and I took photos of him from 360 degrees (about 70 photographs total). We uploaded them to the program and it rendered Jared with acceptable detail. I spent an hour cleaning up the model and preparing it for Zprint.




I will be painting it some time after Spring Break. Then I will make more hilarious models of various people.



Here are some more photos of figures. I painted one metallic blue and printed another and painted it with acrylics. I also made a figure of me that turned out looking like a swamp monster, so I painted it as such: