Monday, July 28, 2014

New Development Rig

Over the weekend I started building a computer. I wanted something that would cut down on app launch and code compiling times, as well as have a robust GPU.

All of the components, including the monitor and keyboard.
This is the case for the motherboard. I went with an ATX because I had the room in the case.
Here's the motherboard, a lot more durable that I thought it would be. 
This is the CPU. It's an Intel 3770k Ivy Bridge i7 that can clock up to 3.9 GHrz (Quad-core). 
I wanted to be fancy so I got a better heat sink and cooler than the one that comes with the CPU.
Cut my finger installing the heat sink on the CPU/motherboard (who doesn't?). Also, applying thermal paste seems scarier than it actually is.
In order to run Unity, Maya, and Photoshop at the same time, I decided to get 32GB of RAM.
Installing the RAM in the motherboard. It takes enough pressure that I was worried I would break the board.
Installing the motherboard system into the case. My case is a Corsair Carbide series Air (the newest one).
This is the power supply I went with. Although the calculator says I will only use about 400w, I got one that can handle up to 850w. Who knows when I'll need to expand?
Installing the power supply into the case.
This is the wireless card I got so that I can use WiFi instead of plugging into the wall. Very simple to install.
This is the graphics card I got. Its full name is EVGA SuperClocked w/ ACX Cooling 02G-P4-2774-KR GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card. Yeah...
Installing the graphics card.
Installing the SSD. I recommend everyone switch to a solid state drive for their boot disk. This computer starts up faster than the monitor can turn on.
Installing an optical drive (DVD). Not sure if I need it but it was ten bucks on Newegg.
Here's the case. It is a compact cube-like shape.
The inner components. You can see a 1TB HHD at the bottom that I thought would work, but it turns out its an SAS drive, not SATA so I had to return it.
Came to life with minimal adjustments.
Installing drivers and such.
Its compact design makes it easy to put away.
Plugged into my roommate's TV. Crazy cinematic experience.
This is its temporary home while I finish zero-ing out my old computer.